"We Can't Rewind We've Gone Too Far" vs. "I Don't Wanna Play Your Video Game"

So this morning I was searching for a podcast related to VHS video and came across the song “Video Killed the Radio Star” by the Buggles. This was the first song/video that ever aired on MTV ( Saturday, August 1, 1981, at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time)

Feeling nostalgic I watched it.

Video Killed The Radio Star Lyrics.

I heard you on the wireless back in '52 Lying awake intently tuning in on you If I was young it didn't stop you coming through Oh-a-oh

They took the credit for your second symphony
Rewritten by machine on new technology
And now I understand the problems you can see

Oh-a-oh
I met your children
Oh-a-oh
What did you tell them?

Video killed the radio star
Pictures came and broke your heart
Oh-a-a-a oh

And now we meet in an abandoned studio
We hear the playback and it seems so long ago
And you remember the jingles used to go:

Oh-a-oh
You were the first one
Oh-a-oh
You were the last one

In my mind and in my car
We can’t rewind, we’ve gone too far
Oh-a-a-a oh
Oh-a-a-a oh

In my mind and in my car
We can’t rewind, we’ve gone too far
Pictures came and broke your heart
Put the blame on VTR…

You are the radio star
You are the radio star
You are the radio star
You are the radio star
You are the radio star
You are the radio star

Oh-a-oh, oh-a-oh…

From that song I got a suggestion for a song called “Video Game” by Sufjan Stevens.

I like Sufjan but hadn’t heard this song. Apparently it came out in 2020 on his album “The Ascension”.

I listened and found some common themes with our work here on this forum.

Video Game lyrics

I don't wanna be your personal Jesus
I don't wanna live inside of that flame
In a way I wanna be my own believer
I don't wanna play your video game
I don't wanna be the center of the universe
I don't wanna be a part of that shame
In a way I wanna be my own redeemer
I don't wanna play your video game

I don’t care if everybody else is into it
I don’t care if it’s a popular refrain
I don’t wanna be a puppet in a theater
I don’t wanna play your video game
You don’t wanna be the one who has to pay for it
You don’t wanna be the one who has to change
All you want is what the resumé tells you

I don’t wanna play, I don’t wanna play
(I don’t wanna play)
(I just wanna go away)
(I don’t wanna play)

I don’t wanna love you if won’t receive it
I don’t wanna save the world that way
I don’t wanna be your personal Jesus
I don’t wanna put the devil on a pedestal
I don’t wanna put the saints in chains
I just wanna make my life a little easier

(I don’t wanna play)
(I just wanna go away)
(I don’t wanna play)
(I just wanna go away)
(I don’t wanna play)
(I just wanna go away)
(I don’t wanna play)

I don’t wanna be your Julius Caesar
I don’t want it to go down that way
But in a way you gotta follow the procedure
So go ahead and play your video game

(I don’t wanna play)
(I just wanna go away)
(I don’t wanna play)
(I just wanna go away)
(I don’t wanna play)
(I just wanna go away)
(I don’t wanna play)

I think these two songs make interesting and contrasting bookends. What do you think?

3 Likes

In the first one, the lady in the clear tube feels very much like geofencing with frequency programming.
Interesting to choose a child wondering at this new reality.
Also when I saw a Stranger Things episode with the investigator hired to look into Barb’s disappearance, his apartment had a wall of old TVs kind of like that image.

1 Like

Now that I think of it, video with music is a pretty powerful programming medium.

1 Like

Interesting that ‘Video killed the Radio Star’ mentions 1952, a fulsome year of high-energy particle developments, including the geophysical tests for thermonuclear H-bombs and the establishment of CERN.
History of CERN , pt 1 : 1952-1984
https://home.cern/resources/video/cern/history-cern-pt-1-1952-1984

Add to that…

1952The Lab Opens - Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

“The Livermore branch of the University of . California Radiation Laboratory (UCRL) at Berkeley opened for operation on September 2, 1952, at a deactivated Naval Air Station…” https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/1952v2.pdf

**“**The Operation Ivy test series was the first to involve a hydrogen bomb rather than an atomic bomb… launched on November 1, 1952 and detonated on Elugelab Island yielding 10.4 megatons, almost 500 times the yield of the bomb dropped on Nagasaki, resulting in the total vaporization of the island…” Operation Ivy - Wikipedia

Ivy’s “Mike” test was a the first fusion device:

Nuclear Bomb - First H Bomb test

“Ivy Mike was the first H Bomb test, it was exploded at 7.15 am local time on November 1st 1952. The mushroom cloud was 8 miles across and 27 miles high. The canopy was 100 miles wide. Radioactive mud fell out of the sky followed by heavy rain. 80 million tons of earth was vaporised. Mike was the first ever megaton yeild explosion.”….[ 2 minute youtube of ‘Mike’ shot narration**: “The most powerful explosion ever witnessed by human eyes**”] Nuclear Bomb - First H Bomb test - YouTube

1 Like

STAR in a JAR @AMcD @Stephers

Star in a Jar: Space-Age Fusion Machine Underway

[Aug 29, 2016] “For more than half a century now, the world’s top scientists have been trying to build a fusion device that would essentially replicate and miniaturize the power of the Sun. This so-called Star in a Jar vision would provide the Earth with clean, safe and practically limitless energy – forever… Right now, the two most advanced spherical tokamaks in the world are the National Spherical Torus Experiment-Upgrade (NSTX-U) at PPPL, and the Mega Ampere Spherical Tokamak (MAST) at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy in the U.K.” Star in a Jar: Space-Age Fusion Machine Underway - Seeker

See a 2004 version of the Buggles doing this song in front of polite English Society, including the Royals

…and note the statement “this is the first time we’ve played [this] song in front of people since we played [it] in the studio 25 years ago” –another Tavistock creation perhaps?

“Music Television, or MTV, was launched on August 1st, 1981 and was a channel created by Viacom Media Networks. This all really starts in 1977 with the possibility of the creation of specialty channels. Warner Cable, which was a division of Warner Communications, had launched the first two-way interactive cable television system in Columbus, Ohio. It was called QUBE, and it was able to offer several specialty channels… Since QUBE was interactive, viewers were able to engage by voting on things like their favorite artists, songs and albums…

“Robert W. Pittman would be the guy who would be at the forefront of creating MTV. He had this idea in the back of his head when he used to host a 15-minute show called “Album Tracks” in New York on WNB-TV in the late ‘70s. With this idea, and the new interactive format being used by Warner Cable, it would set the stage for MTV.

“Pittman had a boss that was instrumental in the history of MTV who was named John Lack. Lack had tried out a show called “Pop Clips” that was the creation of former Monkee Mike Nesmith. Nesmith was inspired by seeing this format work in New Zealand from a show called “Radio In Pictures”. Radio In Pictures had come out in 1976 and was a concept that had been around since the mid-‘60s…

[See the ‘launch’ video ‘moonshot’ branding and the lightning bolt icon] https://www.everything80spodcast.com/the-history-of-mtv/#:~:text=Music%20Television%2C%20or%20MTV%2C%20was%20launched%20on%20August,two-way%20interactive%20cable%20television%20system%20in%20Columbus%2C%20Ohio.

1 Like