The mission of the program is to sustain the capability of the tri-agency NEXRAD network to reliably observe and detect hazardous weather in support of forecast and warning programs, protection of military assets, the National Airspace System, and the national economy through timely infusion of technology transition and new capabilities.
NEXRAD provides essential data needed to achieve DOC/NOAA/NWS strategic objectives and goals. No other observation system is capable of providing these unique remote sensing data.
Department of Commerce (DOC):
Strategic Goal – Strengthen U.S. Economic and National Security Strategic Objective – Reduce Extreme Weather Impacts
Key strategies include:
1. Evolve the National Weather Service to deliver better forecasts, earlier warnings, and clearer communication of high-impact weather and water events.
2. Strengthen partnerships with America’s weather industry and other members of the weather, water, and climate enterprise.
3. Deploy the next generation of satellites, aircraft, ocean-going ships, and observation and data gathering systems.
4. Develop and deploy next-generation environmental observation and modeling systems to make informed planning, resources management, and investment decisions.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA):
Future Vision – Healthy ecosystems, communities, and economies that are resilient in the face of change
Long-term Goal – Weather-Ready Nation
Objectives to achieve this goal include:
1. Reduced loss of life, property, and disruption from high-impact events
2. Improved freshwater resource management
3. Improved transportation efficiency and safety
4. Healthy people and communities due to improved air and water quality services
5. A more productive and efficient economy through environmental information relevant to key sectors of the U.S. economy