I woke up today thinking about Project Genie and the Utah Teapot

I came downstairs and grabbed my cup of coffee and saw there was a new Silicon Icarus post, which coincidentally features Project Genie. Odd synchronicity, but then maybe not.

I’d like to suggest at this point that we have an obligation to do the hard work of understanding simulation modeling and prediction and the literal fabrication of digital “realities” through computation through the use of blockchain tokens (to make it quantifiable and visible to the machine) understanding that notions around digital “currency” social control mechanisms are the beginning of a much more expansive story.

Many people are exploring a variety of predatory crypto narratives, but not yet building off that base to explore the full implications of Web 3 and blockchain. Given what @stephers has been pulling out this week, I increasingly see it as being far more about shaping our perceptions of "reality "in far more subtle ways than simply programming money or enabling cross-border micropayments and derivatives markets in human behaviors. I know it’s challenge to get a bunch of knowledge under your belt only to realize there’s so much more to learn.

The work @stephers has been doing is central to this - the Voronoi patterns and complexity theory linked to the parametric calculations @leo had been exploring. Blockchain tokenization is central to artificial societies. I sense the mesh of tracked “transactions” will be the computational surface from which a new matrix of digital “life” emerges.

If people on the leading edge of thinking about this continue to discuss crypto primarily in terms of “money” as we are traditionally meant to think of it, the world will likely end up cocooned in a literal web of computation before we come to our senses. The new post is interesting in that it centers “Community Memory” backed by Bank of America, but in the end I think the end game is a universal distributed mindfile project ala Google’s “selfish ledger.” The finance part is part of the cybernetic governance, a tool to accomplish that end, but it is not an end in and of itself.

Project Genie birthed the computer program at University of Utah. The virtual objects there came out of DARPA, too. I have a sense that the cyclotron / isotope research at Berkeley National Labs comes into play as well. We need to take a wide view.

Also if you are curious for context on Project Genie and U of U, here is the talk Jason and I did on it.

Slide deck - Berkeley and University of Utah and Visualization slides 63-64

Bio of David C. Evans who was born in SLC, was on staff at UC Berkeley with Genie Project, and then started University of Utah Computer Science Division.

Another visual floating in the field for me today is Plato’s cave - Platonic solids - CAD modeling…I was looking into the GeoMagic platform with Ping Fu (mentor at Urbana-Champaign supercomputing to Marc Andreessen).

Isn’t this odd language for a mechanical engineering marketing piece? The images featured are motors, not museum objects. Note reference about controlling history, too.

“Recreating History in Geomagic Design X” 2015 Kenneth Wong, Digital Engineering 247

“Armed with an affordable handheld scanner or a tabletop digitizer, you can easily capture the contours and profiles of vases with odd shapes, sacred sculptures, and archaeological finds. This gives you the chance to import real-life geometry into your 3D modeling program as point clouds or meshes for modeling reference, much in the same way a digital artist might import a photograph into his favorite vector or raster drawing program to use as guide. But converting the scanner-generated point-cloud data into editable solid or surface geometry is not as straightforward. Many wish the conversion could be a template-driven, button-click operation. Alas, that is not the case. It still demands a fair amount of engineering intuition and manual modeling.”

This seems to fit the bill, doesn’t it? Think Blackrock’s Aladdin, ESG Portfolios and GIIN.

Meanwhile a friend took a trip to Longwood Gardens and told me how disturbed they were by this electronic light overlay on the meadows there. The fancy estate garden belonged to the Dupont Family (helped build Oak Ridge National Labs) and before that the land was a Quaker farm (children of the light). This person was VERY upset by the experience.

2 Likes

I actually went and saw Three Thousand Years of Longing today. It’s a story about a Djinn (genie). In the film the Djinn states he is a receiver and is electromagnetic (if I’m remembering correctly–he may have said transmitter? I should have written down exactly what the character said). The palms of his hands were magenta and the tips of his fingers were gold.

On the surface, the film is about desire, love, loneliness and possession. I generally liked the film but there is a fair amount to unpack in it. Towards the end there is some imagery and brief dialogue about modern communication technology which didn’t seem obvious to the overall story.

Interesting that the Global Impact Investing Network acronym is GIIN. Different lettering but same pronunciation as Djinn. Perhaps just a coincidence but interesting.

2 Likes

Another interesting synchronicity is that Smart City Hub I am researching (The Amazing Brentwood), has a Katsura Tree at the center of a water feature, which also includes a light display. Both the property and the water feature are owned by the same company called ‘Shape’. They are a Canadian company and they seek to ‘revolutionize’ how people use urban spaces, no doubt for Smart Cities and the meta verse.

There is a lot more to that water feature and lights then just aesthetics, and I will include that in my posts.

1 Like

Would that be Shape Corp? https://www.shapecorp.com/

Featured among the Shapes…

“Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) is the military headquarters of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization’s (NATO) Allied Command Operations (ACO) that commands all NATO operations worldwide. ACO’s and SHAPE’s commander is titled Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR), a U.S. four-star general officer or flag officer who also serves as Commander, U.S. European Command. SHAPE is situated in Mons, Belgium. Under the 2002 Berlin Plus agreement, SHAPE may also take part in the European Union’s (EU) command and control structure as an operational headquarters (OHQ) for EU missions… [SHAPE] had previously been located, from 1953, at Rocquencourt, next to Versailles, France. From 1951 to 2003, SHAPE was the headquarters of Allied Command Europe (ACE). Since 2003 it has been the headquarters of Allied Command Operations, controlling all NATO operations worldwide.”

2 Likes

At the one-minute mark of this video on digital ID she uses her personal device to activate an IoT fountain. I think light and water engineering is significant. I’ve seen a lot of new “tech” water features incorporated into largely concrete urban “parks.” The water is “interactive.”

1 Like

Hi @jenlake no they are a different company, I wonder if there is a connection though because from reading their reports and between the lines, they are buying up urban shopping centers because they are the best places to build smart city hubs. This is due to the large amount of land shopping centers are on and they are generally close to rapid transit. This sounds like a military strategy to me, and what I find strange is that there aren’t any bios of the corporate officers on their site.

The company that designed the water feature is called Crystal Fountains.

1 Like

When she clicks her phone to activate the fountain, did you see what look like constellations? The company that designed the water feature for the Amazing Brentwood is called Crystal Fountains. Crystals are also something that you have been researching as well.

1 Like

Yes, I see it - constellations or mesh network. Definitely water programming. It’s interesting, Philadelphia has many older fountains, too with sculpture that people play/swim in when it’s hot. It makes me wonder if the “imprinting” may have been going on for some time.

1 Like

Wow - check out the 2015 Milan “Tree of Life” - so much embedding of people experiencing it “in person” through screens.

drawing inspiration from Michelangelo’s 12 point star in the center of Piazza del Campidoglio; representing the constellations

the Tree is also surrounded by over 250 of Crystal’s jets; a perfect combination of ChoreoSwitches and Titans

is a symbolic representation of the three rivers: the Po, the Ticino and the Adda, which surround Milan.

Tree of Life is not merely a traditional or a religious symbol, it also reaches out to the future, to innovation, and to technology

The combined efforts of Milan and its guests are breaking headway in their goal to sustain the global population; achieving this not only by working towards combating issues surrounding nutrition, but by feeding our natural human lust for entertainment, cultural appreciation, and shared experiences with our global community.

2 Likes

I think your right about the imprinting going on for a while, it puts me in mind of one of Ras Ben’s lectures I was listening about a year ago, where he describes a lot of the symbology associated with a number of the statues in Philadelphia. Only instead of stone, now they are using light, photonics etc. Spiritually water is also considered to be a portal to the Otherworld, and I wonder if that is also part of it.

One of the reasons the water feature at the ‘Amazing Brentwood’ caught my eye was because there is a tree at the center of the water feature.

I took this photo from the top 2nd floor of the ‘Amazing Brentwood’ and the tree at the center of the water feature is a Katsura tree, which is a tree native to China and Japan. When I researched the tree’s symbolic meaning the Katsura represents the means by which the gods descend from the heavens, and the joining of Earth and sky. The leaves are also heart shaped, and the description for the ‘Amazing Brentwood’ is this A global place that captures the heartbeat of humanity.

https://sunyorange.edu/inttreetour/cercidiphyllum_japonicum.html

What is surrounding the Katsura and mirror balls, and they relate to an ‘art’ exhibit that was taking place in Western Canada for most of the summer.

I took this photo while in the mall, and immediate impression I got from this poster was the digital twins, one real image and one mirror.

I should have my article published by this Sunday, I want to spend a bit more time with Crystal Fountain and there is one more organization I want to research and it’s the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan because they were involved with building the ‘Amazing Brentwood’ and their logo has tree symbology.

1 Like

Watercube is one of the organizations that was involved with the 2015 Expo in Milan

http://www.watercube.it/

1 Like