Heart and Flowers in Aztec Cosmology - Also Second Part of Atomic Ecologies Irradiating the Sacred

In last night’s stream, the second part of our Atomic Ecologies series, I was talking about cybernetics, the heart, Mexican cardiologist Arturo Rosenblueth and Eugene Odum’s interest in birds based on their heart beat.

In the comments someone mentioned the importance of the heart to Aztec culture as well as flowers. I think this was spurred by the connections I was making to Ian Griggs choice of the 50 peso Mexican banknote in his digital flower currency video.

I am adding some links, because this does feel important as what we are navigating are the centuries old shock waves of conquest - both of the “Americas,” its original culture, and natural life. The Caribbean and Latin America are on the front lines of conditional cash transfer, impact finance, re-fi “regenerative finance,” and IoT "sustainability to “preserve” abundant “natural capital” and develop new ways for global finance to extract profit based on drone / satellite surveillance, bio-prospecting, and molecular re-design.

It is interesting to me that Vienna does come up again in ethnographic collections. Also a central focus of the Wellcome Trust in the UK that put up an exhibit on the heart in 2007.

“From Mexico came the famous ‘Heart of Copil’ greenstone, a votive sculpture found near the Templo Mayor. According to Aztec myth, their capital city Tenochtitlan was founded on the buried heart of Copil (son of Malinalxochitl, an evil sorceress, enemy of the Mexica people and sister of Huitzilopochtli), from which grew a large prickly pear cactus with an eagle perched on top - the basis for the Mexican national emblem. Copil, killed by the Mexica on orders from Huitzilopochtli, was symbolically if not literally the first victim of Aztec human sacrifice - his heart was thrown into the middle of Lake Texcoco.”

“As the exhibition introduction says: ‘The heart, widely understood as the place where life begins and ends, has always featured as a potent symbol in our religions, myths and rituals… [and] …we remain reluctant to let go of the notion - deeply rooted in everyday language and imagery - that the heart is the home of our emotions and of our true character.’”

"Born in a frontier shack in the American Midwest in 1853, Henry Solomon Wellcome was a phenomenally successful entrepreneur who made a fortune through his pharmaceutical company, Burroughs Wellcome, which introduced medicines in tablet form - an American development - to Europe.

Wellcome was a prodigious networker and friend of the famous: his acquaintances included Oscar Wilde and Lord Kitchener. He was also a compulsive collector. By the time he died in 1936, Wellcome had amassed enough paintings, native artefacts and surgical instruments to fill several museums.

One-and-a-half million objects connected with health care were acquired by Wellcome and his team, who visited auction houses, rag-and-bone dealers and pawns shops for ‘treasures’. In this way, he acquired Florence Nightingale’s moccasins, a collection of shrunken heads from South America, hundreds of amputation saws used by Victorian doctors, Nelson’s razor, a lock of George III’s hair and the ‘Claxton earcap’, a cloth harness that was designed to be worn by children at night to correct their protruding ears."

" Wellcome had a passion for collecting medically related artefacts, aiming to create a Museum of Man.[14] He bought for his collection anything related to medicine, including Napoleon’s toothbrush, on display at the Wellcome Collection. By the time of his death, there were 125,000 medical objects in the collection, of over one million total. Most of the non-medical objects were dispersed after his death. He was also a keen archaeologist, in particular digging for many years at Jebel Moya, Sudan, hiring 4000 people to excavate.[15] He was one of the first investigators to use kite aerial photography on an archaeological site, with surviving images available in the Wellcome Library."

There are some interesting synchronicities between Raul’s newest article at Silicon Icarus about the backstory of signal processing and phone phreaking. I can’t help but think about that trumpeter in the swamp and the tweet of his that went viral of the Peruvian water whistle…The article also mentions the Cowles Commission, which was part of my presentation on the stream last night - linking biophysics to econometrics.

Here’s my slide of the Cowles Commission and the part of the map dealing with teams.

Full deck here: Atomic Ecologies - Google Slides

Raul’s mention of Frank Heart stood out to me this morning.

" In 1959, the conference’s 16th edition was held in Boston, Massachusetts. Chaired by Lincoln Lab’s lead engineer for SAGE’s real-time data processing systems, Frank Heart, the event featured a prototype of the Program Data Processor or PDP-1, which had been designed and built by yet another Lincoln Labs alum, Ben Gurley."

Again HEART - the heart of the Internet, ARPA, psychoacostics

https://www.internethalloffame.org/inductees/frank-heart

I look over this bio and also see “whirlwind” - the Whirlwind computer. To me @leo this calls to mind hurricanes (parametric insurance) and also the Tempest (Prospero magician - Prosper / CELO)

"Heart, working at Bolt Beranek and Newman (BBN) in 1968, led the small group of unusually talented BBN staff that bid on and won a contract to build Interface Message Processors (routers) for an expandable, four-node network. This work was being funded by the government’s Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA). "

“Heart entered the computer age in 1950 as an MIT student at MIT’s Whirlwind computer. Whirlwind occupied most of a small building and was less powerful than today’s handheld devices. Later, Whirlwind came under the aegis of MIT’s Lincoln Laboratory, and Heart spent the next 15 years at Lincoln, working on the Sage air defense system and on numerous projects connecting computers to real-time data sources, before moving to BBN.”

The digital flower currency and Mexico brings to mind Aztec herbals and medical treatments as well as the co-optation of those indigenous knowledges for western use and profit. Yeah - I’m kind of thinking about Coca-Cola here among others.

There are 96 entries for Aztec in the Wellcome collections.

Among them is the Badianus Codex - a sixteenth-century herbal now in possession of the Vatican. The color image below is of the Datura, I think. It’s from a 1935 paper on the codex sponsored by the Smithsonian and Johns Hopkins.

“Two of the most interesting plants used as a cure for pain are the Tolohuaxihuitl and the Nexehuac (pi. 3). Both of these are Daturas (Solanaceae). The first of these, Tolohuaxihuitl or Tolohua plant, is referred to by Hernandez as D. stramonium. Sahagun '” and Clavigero ^’ refer to it as Toloache. Both the white-flowered and purple-flowered forms of this species occur in Mexico as well as in the United States ; the purple forms are usually called D. tatiila. The white-flowered forms may bear either smooth or prickly capsules, the smooth variety being called D. iiiennis.“’ The adjacent plant, called Nexehuac (Nexeua—the rambler—Simeon, p. 307), is depicted as an erect, white-flowered form with purple, smooth-skinned fruit resembling this type. The flowers are drawn as erect, the fruits pendant, but since all the arborescent Daturas have unarmed fruits we may consider either the drawing or the etymological derivation misleading. Its smooth pods would probably place it as a variety of D. stramonium known as D. incrmis Jacq. Varieties of Datura have been used the world over for their narcotic properties, the effect being due to the presence of the drug atropine.”

This is interesting to me, because in the city of Philadelphia the sprawling type of datura often grows wild in empty lots and waste spaces.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU72OH9rz-e/

I don’t have access to this article, but it looks super intriguing - about Aztec gardens.

https://www.nature.com/articles/146081a0

The author, Patricia Granziera, has a very interesting Google scholar page. Her research is focused on goddess worship in Latin America and India.

Anyway - lots to consider about the heart and flowers and medicine. I’ll just leave you with the observation that all of this has me rethinking to imprinting of the famous walk through heart at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. Millions of children have gone through it since it was installed as part of the “Engine of LIfe” exhibit in 1953. It is a beloved icon.

Flowers and feathers - to me the idea that the Aztec feather headdress cannot be returned “safely” to Mexico is an indication that the cybernetic “circular” economy technicians continue to seek to dominate the world by overwhelming regenerative and reciprocal dynamic indigenous cosmologies that conceptualize the universe as animist and endowed with unlimited metaphysical potential.

The Vienna / Austrian frame.

4 Likes

I’m just going to say the synchronicities are coming on really strong and hard. I

The woman presenter in this Celo talk on impact finance and “public goods,” Xochitl Cazador - her name literally means flower hunter - on the chase for the flowers.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/xochitl/

And I remember there being a book about William Bartram calling him a flower hunter, too. The Flower Hunter: William Bartram, America's First Naturalist by Deborah Kogan Ray

See the optical rainbow portal @Stephers

I think this resonates with the Omidyar portal.

2 Likes

See the Eiffel tower in the portal of the Celo promo?

How radio saved the tower.

"From very early on, Gustave Eiffel knew he needed to find a use for his Tower beyond its function as a symbol of progress and a fair-time spectacle. He immediately started looking for a scientific justification for its existence. A new technique in signal transmission called wireless telegraphy (TSF) was emerging in the 1890s thanks to the combined efforts of various thinkers (Hertz, Marconi, Tesla, Branly, Popov, Tissot, etc.). Following the first Hertzian transmissions in 1895, things accelerated quickly.

On 5 November 1898, Eugène Ducretet established the very first radio contact in Morse code between the Eiffel Tower and the Pantheon, four kilometers away. A transmitting station was then installed permanently on the Tower. In 1899, it enabled radio transmissions with London. At this point, military authorities became interested in this nascent radio technology. They tasked Engineering Corps Captain Gustave Ferrié, a 31-year-old graduate from the Polytechnic, to conduct experiments. Since 1897, he had been in charge of the newly founded Military Telegraphy School. In 1900, he published a reference tome on the technology and in 1903, he perfected receiving devices."

2 Likes

Raul’s mention of Whitfield Diffey, at the end of his article, brings to mind an interesting - though not necessarily significant - connection. My mother told me that Diffey was her neighbor, when he was a young child and she was a teenager. According to my mother, he was something of a surprise to his parents, who were well advanced in years when he was born. Another young child in my mother’s neighborhood (Richmond Hill, NY), at that time, was Donald Trump. Would they have known each other?

2 Likes

Wow - was that in Queens? If so the double sync is that when I wrote my short story the “sanctuary” was the Richmond Hill Library. I chose it to be close to the park.

"It may seem frivolous to undertake such projects, but in a world so out of control, creating something tangible and beautiful, one square at a time helps push back despair. The off-liners keep an eye out for worn sweaters they can unravel for yarn. At the Wheel House, mending and repurposing items that would have been tossed are valued skills. They embrace the sentiment of kintsugi, that there can be beauty in the repair of broken things. Life on the ledger has broken people in countless ways, so the idea that there is a possibility of repairing damage and moving forward is central to their collective hope for a better future.

Another regular at the Wheel House is Nan’s sister, Vi, whose area of expertise is traditional remedies and native plants. The domesticated lands of the city are now wild and overgrown. Few are inclined to maintain yards, and there is no money to keep up the parks. There is food and medicine for those who know where to look. Vi has created raised medicinal beds around the perimeter of the Wheel House that she uses to treat residents of the encampments. She eagerly shares her knowledge with anyone who expresses even a hint of interest, and often sends Talia home with bags of chamomile and mugwort to ease a troubled sleep.

Learning about these remedies has been fascinating for Cam, who has started to engage with science in a new way. She has latched onto the farm crew teens that come to the Wheel House to rehydrate. A welcoming group, they have invited her to join them whenever she can. Cam spends a couple of days each week learning the basics of soil science, seed saving and crop rotation, skills that were almost lost in the shift to indoor hydroponic IoT agriculture. These direct applications of science excite her in a way the labs in Skyward Skills cannot. Cam’s online studies have started to slip; it’s hard to focus on badges and modular learning when the real world is out there waiting. Perhaps Cam is more like Li than she cares to admit.

In the late afternoons, people gather to prep meals for the encampments. The Wheel House is midway between the Forest Park farm and Maple Hill, and since Mak has running water and a basic kitchen, much of the work is done there and finished on site. At least once a week, Talia’s family helps with a meal. Cam is proud to see the vegetables she tends shared this way, but it pains her that it’s impossible to make the produce go as far as it needs to."

1 Like

Ok @Stephers - one person’s take on Voynich that perhaps Meso-American. References the Aztec herbal in featured above.

Thus, with our varied backgrounds and viewpoints as a botanist and as an information technologist with a background in botany and chemistry, the authors of this HerbalGram article decided to look at the world’s plants without prejudice as to origin in order to identify the plants in the Voynich Ms. With the geographical origins of the plants in hand, we can then explore the history of each region prior to the appearance of the Voynich Ms. The authors of this article employ abductive reasoning, which consists of listing of all observations and then forming the best hypothesis. Abductive reasoning (rather than deductive reasoning normally practiced by scientists in applying the scientific method) is routinely used by physicians for patient diagnosis and by forensic scientists and jurors to determine if a crime has or has not been committed. In abductive reasoning, it is necessary to record all facts, even those that may seem irrelevant at the time. This is well illustrated by physicians who have misdiagnosed patients who were not fully forthcoming with all their symptoms because they interpreted some as trivial, unrelated, or unnecessary to share with the physician.

We were both immediately struck by the similarity of xiuhamolli/xiuhhamolli (soap plant) illustrated on folio 9r in the 1552 Codex Cruz-Badianus9-12 of Mexico (sometimes known as the “Aztec Herbal”) to the plant in the illustration on folio 1v of the Voynich Ms. Both depictions have a large, broad, gray-to-whitish basal woody caudices with ridged bark and a portrayal of broken coarse roots that resemble toenails. The plant in the Codex Cruz-Badianus is in both bud and flower with leaves that have a cuneate (wedge-shaped) base, while the plant in the Voynich Ms. has only one bud with leaves that have a cordate (heart-shaped) base. The illustration in the Codex Cruz-Badianus is accepted by numerous commentators9-12 as Ipomoea murucoides Roem. & Schult. (Convolvulaceae); the illustration in the Voynich Ms. is most certainly the closely related species I. arborescens (Humb. & Bonpl. ex Willd.) G. Don. However, the portrayals of both of these Mesoamerican species are so similar that they could have been drawn by the same artist or school of artists.

https://www.herbalgram.org/resources/herbalgram/issues/100/table-of-contents/hg100-feat-voynich/

1 Like

Yes, that is Queens. I will check in with my mother later to see where she lived in the neighborhood. That is a very odd coincidence that it is the setting for your story. Regarding “Maple Hill”, maybe a stretch, but her father was the director of Lenox Hill hospital - I looked up the meaning of “lenox” and it is “with many elm trees”.

2 Likes

I wrote the story and then it began to happen. Very strange.

1 Like

@AMcD Very interesting . . . I have some swirling thoughts – not quite coherent yet . . .

Badianus Manuscript

Call Number: RS169 .C7 1552a

Rare Books at JPL, Special Collections
Facsimile of Libellus de medicinalibus Indorum herbis, the earliest known treatise on Mexican medicinal plants and native remedies.

In 1929, Charles Upson Clark (1875-1960), a history Professor at Columbia University carrying out bibliographic research on the early history of the Americas in the Vatican Library, came across a remarkable illustrated Latin manuscript entitled Libellus de Medicinalibus Indorum Herbis (Little Book of Indian Medicinal Herbs) completed in 1552. The manuscript now known as the Codex Cruz-Badianus (CCB)* contained 185 illustrations (phytomorphs) of plants with text that described their medicinal uses. This manuscript spread new light on botanical and medicinal knowledge of the indigenous peoples of Mexico known today as the Nahuas or Aztecs. It was to have major repercussions on our knowledge of Aztec culture and the history of New Spain in the 16th century. CCB was produced at the Colegio of Imperial de Santa Cruz at Tlatelolco established in 1536 to train sons of the Aztec nobility for the clergy. The authors were two indigenous faculty members, Martin (Martinus in Latin) de la Cruz and Juan Badiano (Juannes Badianus in Latin) whose Spanish names were conferred upon their baptism. Martin de la Cruz was the Colegio’s indigenous doctor who gave instruction in medicine and Juan Badiano, a Latin teacher and former student translated the book into Latin. The herbal dedicated to the Viceroy Francisco de Mendoza was sent to Spain as a gift to King Carlos I soon after its completion in 1552. The original ended up in the Vatican Library until 1990 when John Paul II returned it to Mexico. In 1931, the Mayanist scholar, William Gates, and the biologist Emily Walcott Emmart became aware of the manuscript and independently translated it to English. In 2009, Martin Clayton, Luigi Guerrini, and Alejandro de Avila identified plants of the CCB based on Emmart’s book and a 17th century copy found in the Windsor library. Of the 185 phytomophs, Gates identified 85 on the generic level, Emmart 9, and Clayton et al. 126. However most of these identifications disagree. In the present work, 183 of 185 phytomorphs are systematically re-evaluated and identified on the generic, as well as specific level, along with their botanical descriptions, previous identifications, putative identification, distribution, names, and uses.*

https://gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org/family/convolvulaceae/

Strangely enough – and this could be a wild stretch of my imagination – I perceive a resemblance/resonance between this one Badianus Aztec herbal image and the following image I just came across yesterday (notice not only the shape/positioning of the diverting greenery, but also the shape and positioning of the hair, almost mimicking the base of the Aztec plant):

https://twitter.com/lsjourneys/status/1373327792595689480?s=42

The image from Twitter above is of Edward Snowden’s wife, Lindsay Mills:

I get the sense that this Voynich Manuscript has a mysterious way of inviting synchronicity (?) – TBD . . .

In any case . . . Returning to Charles Upson Clark, whom reportedly discovered the 1552 Aztec Herbal Codex:

https://archives.library.wcsu.edu/caoSearch/catalog/mssa-ms-1294

https://archives.yale.edu/repositories/12/resources/3638

Charles Upson Clark, scholar and lecturer, was born January 14, 1875, in Springfield, Massachusetts to Edward Perkins Clark (1847-1903) and Kate Upson Clark (1851-1935). His father was a graduate of Yale, class of 1870 as were his grandfather, Perkins Kirkland Clark, Yale 1838, and his great-grandfather, Enoch Clark, Yale 1797. His father was a journalist for The New York Evening Post and his mother, who graduated from Wheaton Seminary, was also a writer and lecturer. (Three of her personal diaries are in the Diaries Miscellaneous Collection, manuscript group number 181. They cover the years 1868-1869 and 1890.)

Clark attended Froebel Academy, Brooklyn, New York, and later spent seven years preparing for college at The Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute where he specialized in scientific subjects and languages. He originally wanted to become a biologist. He entered Yale College in 1893, was a member of the debate team and Alpha Delta Phi, served as president of the Yale Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa and graduated as valedictorian of the class of 1897.

After studying in Munich, Rome, Grenoble and Paris he returned to Yale in 1900 as a tutor in Latin and received his Ph.D. in 1903. He remained on the faculty as a professor of Latin epigraphy, paleography and medieval Latin until 1916.

Clark directed the Massawippi Summer School on Lake Massawippi, North Hatley, Quebec, Canada from 1908-1928. From 1916-1919 he directed the School of Classical Studies, American Academy in Rome. For several years Clark worked as a research investigator in Europe for Smithsonian Institute (1927, 1930, 1935-1937 and 1940). He was professor of languages, City College, New York, 1932-1940. During the 1940’s and 1950’s Clark combined his traveling in Europe with his lecturing and writing and found it so stimulating that he become a professional lecturer. He lectured on conditions in European countries, particularly in France, Spain and Italy. Some popular lecture topics were, “How the Italians are Protecting Their Monuments,” “Rome, Capital of the Caesars” and “Greater Roumania”.

The Charles Upson Clark papers span 1886-1960 but do not adequately reflect all aspects of his career. Clark kept a series of diaries which he would later consult in writing his memoirs. The early diaries, 1886-1893, are mostly written in English and indicate Clark enjoyed his time at school, taking nature walks and playing baseball. The later diaries are written entirely in what appears to be Clark’s own shorthand. However, a few transcripts from 1897 are included in folder 6. Loose material within each diary has been removed and placed at the end of each diary. It consists of notes on scrap paper, photos, newsclippings that cover items of interest, programs from activities he attended, some receipts from supplies purchased and copies of college examinations from his college days. This loose material is helpful in determining some of Clark’s activities during given periods.

Clark wrote many books and articles but his papers only include various memoir drafts which he tentatively titled, “Salient Facts in the Life of Charles Upson Clark.” He wrote some text books for students studying Latin and Italian and several books on the subject of the Eropean War 1914-1918 in Roumania. The Sterling Memorial Library has ten of Clark’s books.

The correspondence section consists of letters from Clark to his future wife during 1898-1900. Other correspondence from Clark consists of personal, chatty letters to his good friend, Judah Goldin (folder 46) and to Mr. James Babb. The letters to Mr. Babb (folder 45) concern the donation of Clark’s papers to Yale and contain some fragmentary transcripts of Clark’s diaries.

The memorabilia section consists of the same type of material as the loose material found in the diaries. The 1897 memorabilia consist of programs from debates between the Yale and Harvard debating clubs and other Yale functions. Some biographical data can be found in (folder 57).

The Charles Upson Clark papers were donated to Yale University by Charles Upson Clark and his daughter, Mrs. John F. Gunther.

Mother of Charles Upson Clark:

Brother of Charles Upson Clark:

Friend of Charles Upson Clark:

@AMcD Given the timing and the placement of Charles Upson Clark (NYC) – Is it possible that he knew Wilfred Voynich??? Also, presumably, Clark exhibited a unique skillset in both biology and language (including Medieval Latin), as well as a keen interest in medieval herbal codices. Hmmmm. Notably, the Voynich Manuscript did end up at Yale . . . I doubt Clark has ever been referenced in relation to the Voynich Manuscript, yet there could be a peculiar connection (?).

1 Like

Ok - seeing that Voynich also had access to Baconian cipher reminded me of Friedman and Riverbank Labs on the Fox River not far from present day Fermi Labs.

Look at encoding - Knowledge is Power

KIPP = Knowledge is Power Program

Started in HOUSTON with Teach for American Alumnus with ties to UPenn.

I keep saying they want to turn the world into a KIPP Charter school.

“And he saw a coded message, hiding in plain sight. As a note on the back of the larger print explains, the image is a cryptogram in which people stand in for letters; and thanks to Friedman’s careful positioning, they spell out the words “KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.” (Or rather they almost do: for one thing, they were four people short of the number needed to complete the “R.”)”

1 Like

@AMcD which is to signifie omnia per omnia [anything by means of anything]. … And by this Art a way is opened, whereby a man may expresse and signifie the intentions of his mind, at any distance of place, by objects which may be presented to the eye, and accommodated to the eare … as by Bells [and] Trumpets, by Lights and Torches … and any instruments of like nature.

1 Like

Could the notes of “Tequila” have been encoded - steganography???

Whoah -

Friedman’s coded sheet music, which transforms Stephen Foster’s popular song into a military communiqué. The message reads, “Enemy advancing right / We march at daybreak.” Courtesy Bacon Cipher Collection, Manuscripts and Archives Division, New York Public Library.

1 Like

@AMcD Very possible, indeed.

Following are three steganography papers I found a couple years ago (none of which involve music per se, but I consider them to be highly significant nonetheless):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2809249_Private_and_Public_Key_DNA_steganography

Private and Public Key DNA steganography

• September 2000

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333250324_A_Review_of_Various_Steganography_Techniques_in_Cloud_Computing

A Review of Various Steganography Techniques in Cloud Computing

Abstract:- One of the latest trends in IT sector is cloud computing. It develops the capabilities of organizations dynamically without training new employees, obtaining new software licenses or investing in infrastructure. At present, user keeps and share a high amount of data on cloud, and hence, the security of cloud computing is necessary so that there is no threat to any of the user’s data. Steganography is becoming a standard practice for both cloud users and cloud service providers as a mechanism against unauthorized surveillance. Steganography refers to writing hidden messages in a way that only the sender and receiver have the ability to safely know and transfer the hidden information in the means of communications. The aim of this paper is to provide an overview of steganography in cloud computing and compare various studies on the basis of technique selection, carrier formats, payload capacity and embedding algorithm to open important research directions.

Keywords: Cloud Computing, Steganography,Data security, Cryptography

2 Likes

Slide 25 in the Programmed Water slide deck at this thread (Water Programming - Slide Deck In Process - #25 by Stephers) is a piece I wrote in August 2020 concerning programmable water:

Following is an excerpt from my post regarding Taq polymerase:

The video provides a glimpse into Montagnier’s study verifying that the PCR process successfully amplified DNA from a fluid sample containing ONLY an electromagnetic image of the DNA. He diluted samples through a method called succussion to attain final samples that no longer contained any physical remnant of a virus that he was attempting to detect and reconstitute. According to Montagnier, the Taq polymerase recognized and “read” the electromagnetic signals that emitted from the sample.

The reason I mention this is to provide some context for an email I received today from my friend (OregonMatt of POM) – pertinent to the discussion on programmable water, primary water, Taq polymerase, and DNA (cloud computing) steganography, and potentially liquid computing . . .

Accordingly, Matt sent me this paper – noting the image of Yellowstone Lake (RE: primary water):

Here’s an example of how digital steganography works. A friend of mine sent me a steganographic message – a secret message embedded within an image. The image was a photo that I had previously sent him of a geyser I had paddled to while on Yellowstone Lake last summer.

To embed his secret message to me, my friend then issued the commands shown in Figure 2.

This was my response to Matt:

Yes, this would be an example of primary water/transition zone water, and embedding secret code within it — digitally speaking. If you consider that the Taq polymerase originating in the primary water/hot springs of Yellowstone — that ends up embedded in the RT-PCR process — can be digitally encoded (as evidenced above), then I can only imagine the potential biocomputational implications (digital track and trace, programmable matter, remote control). I would have to sit with this a bit to think of what is possible and probable . . . What could be hiding (RE: digital code) within the Taq polymerase used in the PCR machine? That brings me back to my piece about the Ghost in the PCR machine (in which I discussed water and Taq polymerase). Perhaps I was on to something?

@AMcD @jenlake I sent a follow-up email to Matt, as he had asked for clarification on your Tequila reference:

The reason Alison is keyed in on Tequila . . . is because when she went to visit Bell Labs a couple weeks ago, strangely enough, there was a young man standing in the middle of a swamp playing the song on his trumpet. Out of nowhere. It just seemed so odd, yet synchy.

Even stranger — or more synchy — the word Tequila is a perfect anagram of Taq lieu — as in Taq (polymerase) place, or Taq locus, or Taq position. Funny thing, I was working out anagrams of Tequila a couple days ago, yet did not even see the Taq at that time. Now it’s right there — so apparent . . .

The word lieu originally comes from the Latin locus, meaning “place,” and its meaning has stayed true to its origins ever since. Though it does have a standalone definition, “the position or function formerly held by another,” this noun is most commonly encountered in the phrase “in lieu of,” which means, basically, “instead of.”

3 Likes

So one thing that passed through my mind yesterday about that “Triple Arrow Capital” short position that turned the crypto bull market into a bear - setting up in my mind the long-planned public good token economy - the stock ticker for Triple Arrows Capital is TAC but when said aloud TAQ is the same.

Also a dart.

2 Likes

This Part Two of Atomic Ecologies is fantastic! @AMcD @Jason_Bosch

3 Likes

Thank you @jenlake that means a lot coming from you.

1 Like

This is the latest boriquagato post, regarding Musk’s renewed bid for Twitter. His mention of steganography and lauding of cryptocurrency caught my eye.

2 Likes

If this is the same cattitude who had such a following on Twitter, it makes it even clearer the role that blockchain libertarians were meant to play in the game of swarm intelligence AI. Damn.

2 Likes