Don't Worry Darling

Grabbed a burger before heading to see the movie “Don’t Worry Darling.” The first item on the menu was a “Big Ass Bavarian Pretzel,” glassware imprinted with Philadelphia notables Edgar Allen Poe and Ira Einhorn (?). Chatty waiter took a brochure and said I was interesting - he did engineering at Drexel. Bathroom had print of pirate ship and big skull over mermaid in wavy ocean. National Mechanics was two blocks from Independence Hall - Biden speech. Welcome to my immersive reality game, lol. Entering the theater “Worry.”

A bit of interesting banking history @Jason_Bosch

See Norwegian Seaman @Stephers

1 Like

@AMcD That is an interesting sync . . . Earlier today – as I was fishing around NSA documents to attempt to locate a Neal Stephenson relative (which I may have, btw – in this very same document linked below) – I stumbled upon this piece by cryptographer William F. Friedman on Edgar Allan Poe. And here you are rendezvousing with Poe! How synchy of you. :slight_smile: Of course, we had discussed Friedman recently in relation to the Voynich Manuscript – and we have already experienced astounding syncs popping up in this regard. in 1920, Friedman actually wrote about coincidence – see excerpt below in his Wiki listing . . .

Edgar Allan Poe, Cryptographer

By William F. Friedman (Unclassified)

ASA Review (p. 12-17)

(Note: I was not able to cut/paste the analysis)

As a child, Friedman was introduced to cryptography in the short story “The Gold-Bug” by Edgar Allan Poe.[2] He studied at the Michigan Agricultural College (known today as Michigan State University) in East Lansing and received a scholarship to work on genetics at Cornell University. Meanwhile, George Fabyan, who ran a private research laboratory to study any personally interesting project, decided to set up his own genetics project and was referred to Friedman. Friedman joined Fabyan’s Riverbank Laboratories outside Chicago in September 1915. As head of the Department of Genetics, one of the projects he ran studied the effects of moonlight on crop growth, and so he experimented with the planting of wheat during various phases of the moon.

Initial work in cryptology[edit]

William and Elizebeth Friedman, recently married, at Riverbank in 1917

Riverbank Laboratories

Another of Fabyan’s pet projects was research into secret messages which Sir Francis Bacon had allegedly hidden in various texts during the reigns of Elizabeth I and James I. The research was carried out by Elizabeth Wells Gallup. She believed that she had discovered many such messages in the works of William Shakespeare, and convinced herself that Bacon had written many, if not all, of Shakespeare’s works. Friedman had become something of an expert photographer while working on his other projects, and was asked to travel to England on several occasions to help Gallup photograph historical manuscripts during her research. He became fascinated with the work as he courted Elizebeth Smith, Gallup’s assistant and an accomplished cryptographer. They married, and he soon became director of Riverbank’s Department of Codes and Ciphers as well as its Department of Genetics. During this time, Friedman wrote a series of 8 papers on cryptography, collectively known as the “Riverbank Publications”, including the first description of the index of coincidence, an important mathematical tool in cryptanalysis.[3][4] : p. 374 ff

With the entry of the United States into World War I, Fabyan offered the services of his Department of Codes and Ciphers to the government. No Federal department existed for this kind of work (although both the Army and Navy had had embryonic departments at various times), and soon Riverbank became the unofficial cryptographic center for the US Government. During this period, the Friedmans broke a code used by German-funded Indian radicals in the US who planned to ship arms to India to gain independence from Britain.[3] Analyzing the format of the messages, Riverbank realized that the code was based on a dictionary of some sort, a cryptographic technique common at the time. The Friedmans soon managed to decrypt most of the messages, but only long after the case had come to trial did the book itself come to light: a German-English dictionary published in 1880.

W. F. Friedman in 1924

Signals Intelligence Service[edit]

The United States government decided to set up its own cryptological service, and sent Army officers to Riverbank to train under Friedman. To support the program, Friedman wrote a series of technical monographs, completing seven by early 1918. He then enlisted in the Army and went to France to serve as the personal cryptographer for General John J. Pershing. He returned to the US in 1920 and published an eighth monograph, “The Index of Coincidence and its Applications in Cryptography”, considered by some to be the most important publication in modern cryptography to that time. His texts for Army cryptographic training were well thought of and remained classified for several decades.

In 1921 he became chief cryptanalyst for the War Department and later led the Signals Intelligence Service (SIS)—a position he kept for a quarter century. In 1929, after The American Black Chamber in New York City was disbanded, its files were entrusted to SIS, and the cryptographic and intelligence services was reorganized to suit its new position at the War Department.

Friedman coined several terms, including “cryptanalysis”, and wrote many monographs on cryptography. One of these (written mostly in his spare time) was the first draft of his Elements of cryptanalysis, which later was expanded to four volumes and became the U.S. Army’s cryptographic main textbook and reference. Realizing that mathematical and language skills were essential to SIS’ work, Friedman managed to get authority to hire three men with both mathematical training and language knowledge. They were Solomon Kullback, Frank Rowlett and Abraham Sinkov, each of whom went on to distinguished service for decades. In addition he also was finally able to hire a man fluent in Japanese, John Hurt.

@AMcD I am super curious what you thought about the film, Don’t Worry Darling. I will return here with some of my deciphering, despite not having yet seen it. I read the script though. We really could have a field day with this one. I found it to be jam packed with encoded winks and tells. You, @jenlake, @Leo, and I have already discussed this via emails. So I will do my best to transfer much of that onto this thread. Thanks for doing homework by going to see the movie!

To begin deconstruction of Don’t Worry Darling . . .

On July 22, 2022, QofC Matt e-mailed me the trailer to Don’t Worry Darling:

Following is my initial response to Matt that same day:

Ahhh. Very interesting . I will keep my eye on this film. Thank you for sharing. It reminds me a lot of Made for Love, the TV series I told you about. I think I recall you watched some of it.

I found the first trailer (see link below) to be a bit more revealing/apparent with “Alice” in the magenta dress. It looks like a magenta placeholder to me — for sure. The name “Alice” also being very occult (as in Alice in Wonderland and fantasy, etc).

Don’t Worry Darling, Official Trailer #1:

Meanwhile, the “villain” in the film is played by Chris PINE (pine as in pine green, and depicted as the “bad guy” — an inversion of truth) . . .

The film is supposed to be released on Friday, September 23, 2022 — the VERY SAME week that Ethereum 2.0 (now called Merge) is slated to be released (a very long time coming for the blockchain industry — considered monumental/industry-changing). Note the color scheme of Ethereum (the magenda), of course!

Published yesterday:

“Ethereum Merge? Get Ready for the ‘Surge, Verge, Purge, and Splurge’, Says Vitalik Buterin”

My follow-up email to QofC Matt that same day (July 22, 2022):

Original screenwriter of Don’t Worry Darling ~ Shane Van Dyke (paternal grandson of Dick Van Dyke) – but MUCH more pertinent is his work relationship with OREN PELI (see below):

{This is very important as it relates directly to photonics — more specifically, weaponized photonics, which I call fauxtonics). We are bio-photonic beings. My theory is that photonics is utilized to alter the human being — influencing body, mind, emotions, spirit, and space/time perception — particularly in TV, film, print media, video games, concerts, stadiums (think half time events like at the Super Bowl), etc.}

{I am suggesting that in the film, Don’t Worry Darling, “Alice” wearing the blatant magenta dress (it does stand out to the rest of the womens’ dresses — almost looking out of place, and even a bit too modern/futuristic for the time period in which the movie seems to be set) — is an intentional color schematic to subliminally influence the viewer.}

In 2012, he produced (with his brother Carey Van Dyke and Oren Peli) the horror film Chernobyl Diaries.[3]

Oren Peli - Wikipedia

Peli began as a computer software programmer, and was one of the developers behind Photon Paint, a bitmap graphics program for the Amiga.[3] He is also credited for developing the networking code for the home console versions of Mortal Kombat 3, during his work at Sculptured Software.[4]

His first film Paranormal Activity was inspired by Peli moving into his first house alone and without family nearby. Peli heard creaks and knocks in the night, which laid the groundwork for a film about a family running around with cameras trying to catch what was going on in the house.[5]

After the success of Paranormal Activity, Peli worked with James Wan and Leigh Whannell to develop Insidious. Peli also produced and wrote the 2012 horror film Chernobyl Diaries, based on the Chernobyl disaster and on his story The Diary of Lawson Oxford. The film followed “a group of friends who, while vacationing in Europe, find themselves stranded in the abandoned city of Prypiat, Ukraine only to discover that they are not alone.”[6]

Photon Paint

Photon Paint is a Hold-And-Modify (HAM) based bitmap graphics editor for the Commodore Amiga , first released in 1987 . Photon Paint was the first bitmap graphics editor to incorporate 3D solid modeling and texture mapping as an integral part of the program. Photon Paint was programmed by Oren Peli, Eyal Ofek & Amir Zbeda at Bazbosoft, an Israeli software house . It was published by MicroIllusions of the US and distributed all over the world. The program sold some 250,000 units and received a best of breed award from Amiga World magazine.

Shane Van Dyke - Wikipedia

Shane Van Dyke

Shane Van Dyke
Born August 28, 1979 (age 42)

Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Occupation Actor, screenwriter, film director
Years active 1993–present
Spouse(s) Julie Schreiner
Children Kayden Van Dyke
Parent(s) Barry Van Dyke
Mary Carey Van Dyke
Relatives Dick Van Dyke (paternal grandfather)
Jerry Van Dyke (paternal great uncle)
Kelly Jean Van Dyke (paternal first cousin once removed)

Shane Van Dyke (born August 28, 1979) is an American television and film actor, film director, and screenwriter. He is the son of Barry Van Dyke, and grandson of Dick Van Dyke.

Early life

Van Dyke was born in Los Angeles, California, the son of Mary (Carey) Van Dyke and actor Barry Van Dyke. He has two brothers, Wes and Carey, and a sister, Taryn Van Dyke. He is the paternal grandson of the entertainer Dick Van Dyke. He is also a grandnephew of Jerry Van Dyke and male 1st cousin once removed junior of Jerry’s daughter Kelly Jean Van Dyke.

Van Dyke’s professional acting career began after graduating from high school when he became involved with the theatre program at Moorpark College in California. He launched his television career with a recurring minor role (14 episodes) as medical student Alex Smith on the CBS television show Diagnosis: Murder. In 2002, he starred in the musical Annie.

Career

In the years following his role on Diagnosis: Murder, Van Dyke worked on other television shows including the long-running soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful, as well as the independent film Arizona Summer.

In the summer of 2007, Shane rejoined his grandfather and father in a series of Hallmark Channel Original Movies titled Murder 101. Around the same period, he also co-starred in the mini-series Shark Swarm, opposite John Schneider and Daryl Hannah.

Van Dyke has performed screenwriter duties for various films including Transmorphers 2, Street Racer, Paranormal Entity, The Day the Earth Stopped [1] and The Silence.

As of 2009, Van Dyke resides in Los Angeles and is a film and television faculty member with Hollywood for Kids.[2]

Van Dyke was the director and writer of the movie Titanic II (2010) and portrayed the ship’s owner, Hayden Walsh. In 2011, Van Dyke appeared as a lifeguard in the SyFy film Super Shark, about a giant shark released from stone by an oil-drilling rig off the California coast. In 2012, he produced (with his brother Carey Van Dyke and Oren Peli) the horror film Chernobyl Diaries .[3]

In 2019, Carey and Shane Van Dyke released a spec script titled Don’t Worry Darling ; the screenplay appeared on the 2019 Black List.[4][5] A film based on the spec script was announced in August 2019, after a bidding war amongst 18 studios to acquire the next project directed by Olivia Wilde; New Line Cinema later won the auction.[6][5] Katie Silberman was brought on to do a rewrite which became the film’s screenplay.[5][7][8]

References

1. “Shane Van Dyke Summary”. TV.com. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
  2. “Hollywood for Kids”. Hollywoods for Kids.com. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
  3. “New Chernobyl Diairies Image Has its Back Up to the Wall”. Dread Central. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
  4. D’Alessandro, Anthony; Ramos, Dino-Ray (December 16, 2019). “The Black List 2019 Screenplays Unveiled & Ranked: Ken Kobayashi’s Frozen-Time Romance ‘Move On’ Tops List”. Deadline Hollywood.
  5. ^ a b c Fleming, Mike Jr. (August 12, 2019). “New Line Wins Olivia Wilde-Directed Spec Package 'Don’t Worry Darling; Auction Drew 18 Bids”. Deadline Hollywood.
  6. Fleming, Mike Jr. (July 31, 2019). “Hot Auction Update: 18 Offers On ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ With 'Booksmart’s Olivia Wilde To Star, Direct”. Deadline Hollywood.
  7. “What Is ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ Even About?”. W Magazine. March 2, 2021. Retrieved May 2, 2022.
  8. Semlyen, Phil de (April 29, 2022). “Here’s everything we know about ‘Don’t Worry Darling’”. Time Out Worldwide . Retrieved 2022-05-02.

Later that same day, I sent another follow-up email to Matt:

Hopefully you can follow my links/train of thought (Shane Van Dyke wrote Don’t Worry Darling → colleague of Oren Peli (via film Chernobyl Diaries) → colleague of Eyal Ofek (Bazbosoft/Photon Paint) – AR/VR/Haptics/Hololens

My point being . . . Shane Van Dyke (of Don’t Worry Darling) is only one degree away from Oren Peli (an Israeli software engineer involved in “Photon Paint” for computer graphics/gaming), who is only one degree away from Eyal Ofek who is in AR/VR/Hololens and EPIC (Extended Perception Interaction and Cognition) .

This potential magenta “truth drop”/placement in the upcoming film (slated to debut the same week as Ethereum’s Merge) — c/o a character named “Alice” (the name has many implications to artificial reality and digital transformation) — circles us back to mixed reality (and the weaponized rainbow spectrum). Eyal Ofek (again, only two degrees away from Shane Van Dyke — the grandson of Dick Van Dyke, who essentially introduced the world to a fantasy/synthetic overlay via the pivotal/pioneering Mary Poppins) is focused on using immersive technology to influence social behavior (see his bio below). See the rainbow ribbon around Dick Van Dyke in a recent photo here:

Dick Van Dyke: 96-year-old Mary Poppins star says he’s ‘just glad to still be here’.

Hopefully this made some sense the way I have presented it — spontaneously here. I am thinking aloud as I go . . .

One curious addition (via synchronicity) . . . On a seemingly different topic, Alison just happened to email me an image (see below) of “Metropolis” (an imaginary “utopia” conjured by King Camp Gilette in the 1800s). In any case, if you jump to the 2:33 timestamp in the first trailer of Don’t Worry Darling — it looks eerily similar to me.

https://eyalofek.org/

Eyal Ofek

About me

I am a Principal Researcher in the EPIC (Extended Perception Interaction and Cognition) team at Microsoft Research.

My research interests include Augmented Reality (AR)/Virtual Reality (VR), Haptics, interactive projection mapping, and computer vision for human-computer interaction. In particular, I’m interested in the way that people will work and live using immersive technologies and their effects on social behavior, productivity, and using digital non-physical space to level the plane field for people with physical limitations.

I am also the Specialty Chief Editor of Frontiers in Virtual Reality for the area of Haptics and an Assoc. Editor of IEEE Computer Graphics and Application (CG&A).

Before joining Microsoft Research obtained my Ph.D. at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and has founded a couple of companies in the area of computer graphics, including a successful drawing and photo editing application (Photon-Paint) and developing the world’s first time-of-flight video camera which was a basis for the HoloLens depth camera .

I am a senior member of Assoc. for Computing Machines (ACM).

For more of my bio, you can look at my LinkedIn page: LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eyalofek

This page was last edited on Feb. 2022.

My Microsoft Research Page

• July- An invited talk: “Decoupling physical motions and self-avatar motions in VR” at Toward Robot Avatars: Perspectives on the ANA Avatar XPRIZE Competition, RSS ’22.

Following is the spec script for the film:

Don’t Worry Darling
By The Van Dyke Brothers

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEj46v50wsdHPLKBkOIsFlTN7XLXNcfd/view

@AMcD @jenlake Do I have your permission to copy/paste your relevant emails to this thread? I will wait to hear before proceeding – as they provide important, cumulative context . . . Thanks!!

Yes you can

Just want to mention this book I listened to as audio on Elizebeth Smith, later Friedman’s wife, who was the one who was probably the real brains in the family and worked most closely with the Bacon cipher.

In 1916, at the height of World War I, brilliant Shakespeare expert Elizebeth Smith went to work for an eccentric tycoon on his estate outside Chicago. The tycoon had close ties to the U.S. government, and he soon asked Elizebeth to apply her language skills to an exciting new venture: code-breaking. There she met the man who would become her husband, groundbreaking cryptologist William Friedman.

“In The Woman Who Smashed Codes , Jason Fagone chronicles the life of Elizebeth Smith who played an integral role in our nation’s history for forty years. After World War I, Smith used her talents to catch gangsters and smugglers during Prohibition, then accepted a covert mission to discover and expose Nazi spy rings that were spreading like wildfire across South America, advancing ever closer to the United States. As World War II raged, Elizebeth fought a highly classified battle of wits against Hitler’s Reich, cracking multiple versions of the Enigma machine used by German spies. Meanwhile, inside an Army vault in Washington, William worked furiously to break Purple, the Japanese version of Enigma–and eventually succeeded, at a terrible cost to his personal life.Fagone unveils America’s code-breaking history through the prism of Smith’s life, bringing into focus the unforgettable events and colorful personalities that would help shape modern intelligence.”

The Riverbanks Labs role in acoustics is vitally important and is its proximity to Fermi Lab - less than 10 miles away.

Oh, Smith was also a Quaker…

1 Like

I had a bit of a headache when I got back last night and went to bed early. I will try and spend some time looking over the script and thinking about the visuals.

Honestly, to me it at its core it was about so much of what we’ve been exploring - domination culture, illusion, and control of women - the sacred feminine through the built environment and expectations of good behavior and good consumerism and quiet self-medication through alcohol.

The one point my husband raised that I hadn’t considered, but I think was spot-on was near the end. The protagonist is fleeing, trying to get to the portal to exit the gaming simulation after killing her husband after she found out he’d trapped her in the game and tried to rape her.

The game maker and his Asian-American wife (to me evokes Zuckerberg/Chan) are listening to what is happening on the radio. The man has instigated what is unfolding by provoking the escaping woman by confirming her fears a few days prior that something bad was indeed happening in this perfect community and saying he liked women to challenge him.

It seems likely the woman will make her escape and at that point the wife calmly stabs the game maker in the chest and says now it’s my turn.

I wasn’t sure what to make of it, but what my husband thought was that maybe “she,” that wife wasn’t a person at all but an AI who now took control of the game after weak humans showed they were incapable of controlling it with fidelity, grace, and order.

That wife was the ballet instructor and there was much made of order from chaos and coordinated control of bodies through synchronized dancing and movements. Total cybernetics down to the cul-de-sac they lived on. They said none of the children real in the simulation. Lots of sex and skin, but no reproduction.

1 Like

I’m still flummoxed that that restaurant would have glassware with Ira Einhorn. The waiter said they’d broken their set of Cosby glasses, but they kept his? Bizarre.

Reading his NY Times obituary opens a lot of rabbit holes - women socialists who supported him, psychedelics, connected to high ranking politicos, Harvard Kennedy School…also the girlfriend he killed and put in a trunk was a woman from Tyler, Texas (@ldaven) who had graduated from Bryn Mawr.

My son came in town and was telling us about this at lunch on Sunday. Was wondering if you all had heard of it.

1 Like

Bizarre. I will ask my mom about the murder. She always knew about stories like that.

1 Like

Unrelated but I think Poe looks like Bill Murray :rofl:

1 Like

Go for it! all permissioned from me