Deloitte, Avalanche Blockchian and FEMA

So I understand there’s alot of weird stuff around FEMA, but I don’t have the best grasp on it. I hope someone here that does has an insight. Deloitte partnership with avalanche for FEMA

Deloitte has formed a strategic alliance with technology firm Ava Labs to enable a new disaster recovery platform that uses the Avalanche blockchain to help state and local governments easily demonstrate their eligibility for federal emergency funding.

Developed with the input and insight of first responders, public works departments, finance authorities and grantmaking agencies, the new Close As You Go™ (CAYG) platform helps state and local government officials simplify and streamline disaster reimbursement applications to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

I remember when the Avalanche whitepaper first came out and there was this weird rumor that it was Satoishi Nakamoto again. I hadn’t looked into it much since. It came up recently because they are the blockchain in the Lemonade Crypto Climate Coalition that is doing the smart contract parametric ag insurance to African farmers with Hannover Re.

Apparently Ava labs, the company behind was incubated at Cornell. The Founder

worked at AT&T Bell Labs on Plan 9, at DEC SRC, and at NEC

I hadn’t heard of DEC SRC before. But the Bell labs and Nippon are significant.

Maybe he was Satoshi? 2003 paper on p2p virtual currency called KARMA. Karma Virtual Currency for P2P

Will add more as comes about.

picture

1 Like

What is Avalanche video:

“Digitizing assets” – I don’t quite understand how this will be used for disaster reimbursement but I’m curious. I look forward to what you find.

Disaster Recovery as a Service seems to be the uniting theme for these blockchain based information systems whose ostensible purpose is to help people organize when an ‘unforeseen’ disaster occurs.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/blockchain-based-solutions-aim-to-address-us-disaster-relief @AMcD St Paul based faith group partnering with the Algorand blockchain (which is highly involved in the CBDC space) ‘house in a box’ program. Providing digital vouchers to disaster stricken impoverished people. The article has several interesting examples of similar projects.

For example, the Disaster Services Corporation Society of St. Vincent de Paul (DSC) — a 175-year-old organization that helps people in situational poverty brought on by natural disasters — is partnering with the Algorand Foundation to assist disaster survivors across the United States.

Elizabeth Disco-Shearer, CEO of the DSC, told Cointelegraph that the organization is specifically working with the foundation — the organization behind Algorand’s monetary supply economics, governance and ecosystem — to use digital wallets to reimagine its “House in a Box” program, which provides household furniture for families without insurance who have been impacted by a disaster.

According to Disco-Shearer, these digital wallets will be equipped with vouchers worth certain amounts of money that disaster survivors can use at specific vendors to purchase new furniture. Disco-Shearer explained that DSC’s House in a Box program currently does all of its work on the ground in rented warehouses, where a variety of furniture is purchased and shipped beforehand and then categorized by volunteers based on family size.

1 Like

Still looking more into it, but so far it seems that the Close As You Go platform is Delloittes cloud based digital platform for handling contractors, tracking expenses and other related things via blockchain (avalanche being the blockchain).

As blockchain is primarily about keeping record digital information (and the ‘functions’ that transmute them, smart contracts). The timestamping of documents envisioned by Stornetta at Bell is still one of the major use cases. These days the technology is more robust then just timestamping the documents, but the tamper proof record keeping idea is still the same. There doesnt need to be an explicit monetary aspect is the point I am trying to make I think.

I am sure there is more going on with this project, but from the very undetailed press releases and flyer I have seen, the main focus of the Close AS You Go platform is around these documents and spreadsheets.

1 Like

Little tidbit, one of the advisors of AVA labs is Maureen O’Hara, who is board member of the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America, which is one of the largest asset holders in the world it seems like.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/maureen-o-hara-08946a7/

As of 2017, TIAA is the largest global investor in agriculture, the 2nd largest grower of wine grapes in the United States (by acreage), and the 3rd largest commercial real estate manager in the world.[3]

In 1918, Andrew Carnegie and his Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, under the leadership of Henry S. Pritchett, created the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), a fully funded system of pensions for professors.

2 Likes

The Algorands ‘Head of Social Impact’ is Matthew Keller. @AMcD

former Senior legal Council for World Food Program
former Executive director of XPRIZE
fomer Vice President of ‘Global Advocacy’ One Child One Laptop.

bio at Algorand Team

Algorand was founded by MIT professor Silvio Micali - Wikipedia.

“In particular, Silvio is the co-inventor of probabilistic encryption, Zero-Knowledge Proofs, Verifiable Random Functions and many of the protocols that are the foundations of modern cryptography.”

edit added more

2 Likes

Stacy Warden CEO of the Algorand Foundation

“Prior to joining the Board of the Algorand Foundation, Staci ran the Global Market Development practice at the Milken Institute, where she led its work on capital market development, crypto/blockchain solutions, and innovative finance to promote the sustainable development goals. Prior to Milken, Staci ran JPMorgan’s EMEA public sector practice out of London. Before JPMorgan, she led the Nasdaq’s two markets for microcap companies, and in the public and non-profit sectors had senior roles at the U.S. Treasury Department, the Center for Global Development, and the Harvard Institute for International Development.

Also a manager at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in early 2000s

Eric Wragge

Eric joined the Algorand Foundation in July 2022 after spending over 20 years at JPMorgan, where he served most recently as Managing Director in structured finance and head of Asset Backed Securities for Northern Europe. During his time there, he successfully led the completion of over 100 fundraising, strategic disposal, principal investments, or advisory assignments, with an aggregate value exceeding $500bn.

Christian Catalini, a senior advisor to Alorgand Inc, (the private company building algorand) founded MITs cryptoeconomics lab .Christian Catalini | MIT Sloan

Algorand is also a sponsor to the MIT CryptoEconomic Journal (along with the interchain foundation which is Cosmos (blockchain of IXO)), the journal I posted the article about energy backed stablecoins, written by researchers at the Lawence Livermore national lab People · Cryptoeconomic Systems

2 Likes

Yeah - I remember when I found out about Carnegie and TIAA - the pieces falling into place for sure.

@leo I had NO Clue about TIAA and agriculture. Fascinating and horrifying.

1 Like